Painted this morning, December 31st, on the Falls Road, Belfast. Thanks to Kathleen Connell for sending it.
1. Join or organize emergency protests and direct actions in partnership with Palestine solidarity and social justice organisations in your area. Send reports of actions you participate in so this information can be shared with people around the world.
2. Donate money through:
Medical Aid for Palestine
Middle East Children’s Alliance
to pay for desperately needed medical supplies and their delivery. The current conditions in Gaza medical facilities are dire.
Physicians for Human Rights
Medical assistance and medicines supplied to Gaza and other Palestinian terrtories by volunteeer physicians from Israel. For information about PHR’s work, link to phr-gaza-emergency.
The British Shalom-Salaam Trust (www.bsst.org.uk) is collecting funds on PHR-I’s behalf and will transfer donations and associated Gift Aid (adding 28% to their value – see below).
By cheque payable to BSST and sent to: BSST, PO Box 46081, London W9 2ZF – quoting PHR-I
By bank transfer to HSBC sortcode 40-04-15 – account no 11576585 – international bank account number GB22MIDL40041511576585 – please quote your surname and initial
By credit card via CAF http://www.cafonline.org/apps/Charities/BasicSearch.aspx?dsp_keywords=british+shalom+salaam+trust <http://www.cafonline.org/apps/Charities/BasicSearch.aspx?dsp_keywords=british+shalom+salaam+trust> (they claim Gift Aid and deduct 5% of the total) quoting PHR-I in their instruction box.
3. Flood Israeli embassies and consulates with letters and calls decrying the attacks. Find contact info for Israeli embassies around the world.
4. Shift the framing of Israel’s actions in the media by phoning into a talk show or writing a letter to the editor.
5. Sign petitions
in support of UN General Assembly President Father Miguel D’Escoto Brockmann
He has spoken out to condemn Israeli Apartheid and called for boycott, divestment and sanctions.
Shortly after the Israeli onslaught on the people of Gaza started, the British Committee for the Universities of Palestine (BRICUP) launched a Statement of Determination to Boycott Israel.
Please promote this statement in newspapers, professional and trade union journals, on internet sites — wherever — and encourage people to sign. It is intended to be a worldwide statement of determination. To read the statement, a-statement-of-determination-to-boycott-israel.
If you want to sign, please reply to:
6. Write to your member of parliament.
If you are in the UK, you can find your MP’s details on this site:
Just enter your postcode. This will connect you to your elected representatives on four levels of governemnt: Local, regional national, and European. Use all to write to your elected representatives, and try and see them to make sure they know how you feel about this issue.
7. If you are in Europe write to you MEP
Do not fail to mention the travesty of the EU planning to upgrade its relationship with Israel exactly at the point of this mass murder occurring.
If you are in the UK you can do the following (or the equivalents if you live elsewhere)
8. Write to:
(a) the Labour Party using this online form:
(b) the leader of the Conservative Party, David Cameron
(You could mention you are appalled that he has been on the BBC calling for restraint on all sides when nearly 300 Palestinians have been killed, as if we are speaking here of two armies in conflict, rather than a mass murder recalling Guernica)
9. British Consulate Jerusalem
+972 (02) 541 4100
10. British Embassy Tel Aviv
+972 (02) 3510 1167 / +972 (03) 527 1572
11. Fax the office of the UK Prime Minister – Gordon Brown –
on +44 20 7925 0918
12. Write to the main figures in the US administration, as well as politicians elsewhere
Lena Jayyusi says: I have just sent messages to President Bush, President elect Obama, Vice President Cheney, Vice President elect Biden, Secretary of State Rice, Secretary of State designate Clinton, Congressional leaders, the U.N. Secretary General, Security Council and member states, the Israeli President, Prime Minister and Cabinet, and members of the world media saying Stop the U.S./Israeli aggression against Gaza NOW!
Please take the time to do the same by clicking on the link at the bottom of this email message.
13. Boycott ALL Israeli goods of whatever kind – food, technology, cultural artifacts – help us to isolate this brutal and inhuman regime in the same way we have manged to do during the 1970s and 1980s to the South African apartheid regime, to which it is close in outlook. To learn more about the Goods Boycott, link to Jews for Boycotting Israeli Goods excellent website:
13. Boycott all ties with Israeli institutions; if you are an academic, join the British Committee for the Universities of Palestine (BRICUP) and partake in its actions. Its website is at:
and its excellent page of links is most informative:
If you are a journalist, please read the following, and consider your options for action:
14. You are not alone in your anger about this latest atrocity. You may wish to find out more about your options for solidarity and political action. Please check into:
Palestine Solidarity Campaign
International Jewish Anti-Zionist Network
A radical organisation of Haredi Anti-Zionist Jews, with deep commitment to peace and human rights
Jews for Justice for Palestine
One of the most active and well organised groups in the UK
Palestinian Campaign for the Academic and Cultural Boycott of Israel
Based in Ramallah, the umbrella Palestinian organisation uniting artists and academics in action against Israeli occupotion and oppression
A detailed list, descriptions and websites of the most active organisation workin aginst the occupation and its brutalities